2 posts tagged mixed patterns
The Pencil Skirt. Every woman should have at least one if not multiple. As a working woman on-the-go; it’s one of those wardrobe pieces that you cannot live without!
Our favorite place to get pencil skirts you ask? JCrew’s No.2 Pencil Skirt does it right every time!
There is such freedom in wardrobe staples. BUT if you’re anything like me, then you get stuck wearing your staple pieces the same way over and over. I get so uninspired when I stare at my closet each day. Sometimes you just need a fresh set of eyes to get you to rethink the way you put together outfits.
We thought what better way to get inspired on getting out of your comfort zone with those go-to pieces then getting together with some of our favorite bloggers once a month to see how they wear their staple pieces!
Em and I are simply tickled pink that such fabulous women are partnering up with us on this collaboration!
Em of The Refined Woman.
- What we love about Em’s look is the mixture of textures and patterns. The necklace is the perfect piece to tie in two such opposing patterns!
Kat of The Refined Woman.
- We love how Kat chose a POP-O-COLOR with her skirt, then kept it simple by staying neutral with the rest of her pieces. Her tan and white belts softens the white and yellow nicely.
Casey Leigh of The Wiegands
- Miss Casey from Texas is a SoCal girl at heart! We love her flowy untucked top with her DIY scarf + fedora!
Hilary of Dean Street Society.
- Last week Hilary told me “keep it simple, keep it preppy”, and her outfit reflects this statement wonderfully. We love her color blocking + who would have thought to pair a sweater with a pencil skirt! LOVE IT!
Sara of Glitter and Grace.
- We adore Sara’s neutral color palette. Her graphic tee keeps this look casual, yet her sassy heels keeps her uber feminine! We love how she took advantage of adding color with her accessories!
Jen of The Effortless Chic.
- Jen offers another take on the graphic tee + sassy heel look. She keeps her color palette simple, the tee + lace skirt make this a very wearable outfit, yet her sparkly heels and jazzy jewelry takes this look to the Effortless Chic style that Jen holds to!
Erin of Apartment 34.
- We’re smitten with Erin’s blue color blocking! There is so much freedom in color! Her billowy top makes her skirt feel more bohemian.
Stay tuned for our Wednesday Post as Em and I give details on where our looks are from!
Kat + Em
P.S. Mark your calendars for our next Refined How To Collaboration Post Monday June 10th!
There has never been a post this long in the history of The Refined Woman because there has never been a day so epic to recount.
Though I am a fan of the Hyperbole I promise I am not exaggerating when I say yesterday was the day that all the dreams our little hearts could hold were fulfilled.
Lest you think I still exaggerate. Let me begin with some images. I keep looking at them to remind myself it was real.
But first, what I wore. Because that’s important, right? Maybe not as much as all the aforementioned dreams being realized, but I am happy to say that after yesterday, all the money I spent (3x more than the pants themselves!) to have these thrifted leather pants tailored seems like it was worth it.
From Kat : What is on my bucket list you may ask? Among sky diving and being fluent in another language is attending a JCrew Presentation at New York Fashion Week.
When Em and I found out we had tickets to the Fall 2013 JCrew Presentation there may or may not have been squeals, tears, and a little dance party.
(Spoiler alert : we screamed like girls.)
Here’s a shot of THE JENNA HERSELF with Anna Wintour. NBD. (REALLY BIG DEAL.)
From Kat : What I love about JCrew is how each season they push the envelope with their mixture of patterns, textures, and colors with classic silhouettes; it’s why they’re able to appeal to the 18 year old hipster, the 30something business woman, and Anna Wintour. You can’t beat class, and you cannot beat Jenna Lyons innovative mixture of all things new with all things timeless.
From me : That about sums it up. This collection rocked my world in every way possible.
(JCREW SHOW BONUS : The guys. ) Sorry to state the obvious here, but these gentleman I mean how good looking can you get? Really?
From Em : I think Kat may have found a husband. I saw them making eyes.
Now, while it would have been MORE THAN ENOUGH to just see Jenna Lyons in the flesh, we were able to say hello after the show and she was so gracious and lovely to us. We may have even handed her a business card and snapped her photograph before swooning. She kissed us and the cheek, complimented our outfits, and was super sweet.
Truly, Jenna, you are THE Refined Woman. Thank you for inspiring women in fashion everywhere.
That’s not all.
At the J Crew Presentation I was able to introduce myself to a woman who really inspired me to follow my passion for fashion blogging and photography… Garance Dore. I took a photo of her at the presentation (the lighting was just OK… but Kat took this one later on which I just adore. Go Kat!)
Garance, thank you for being so gracious in person. You do not know how much it meant to me.
and THEN. (then!!)
I took a photo of the man, the legend, the Sartorialist himself.
As I bent back to photograph him in my heels and ridiculous leather pants I almost ATE it on the concrete of Lincoln Center. I imagine that’s where this little smile came from…
And then I died of embarrassment and I am pretty sure I ran away. I guess it’s a good to have some moments to keep us humble, am I right?
If you looked at and read this whole post, bless you. More good stuff to come tomorrow.