10 posts tagged all american
“…life is too short not to wear seersucker in the summer.”
Check out my full Weekend Getaway Article on Verily Magazine today!
Summer is just steps away, and for some of us we’re already in the midst of it! Summer to me means spontaneity, adventure, eating watermelon that drips down my fingers and usually onto my clothes, impromptu trips, and long dinners outside with friends and loved ones.
My biggest goal when traveling whether for a fun 4-day weekend getaway or a month journey is to: KEEP IT SIMPLE, and here is how I do it!
LIMIT YOUR OPTIONS!
How many of you ladies like to give yourselves at least 7 options a day for outfits? (Wait…I’m the only one?) If you are going on a 3 day trip, pack 3 outfits, and allow yourself one extra option. To keep your clothes from getting wrinkled, pack cotton and jersey knit fabrics that do not wrinkle easily. Bring items that you can wear multiple ways. What do I pack for a weekend getaway? Well…I’m glad you asked!
- Maxi Dress
- Seersucker Shorts
- White Oxford
- Jean Jacket
- Gladiator shoes + Wedges
- 1-piece bathing suit (modest is hottest!)
- Fedora Hat
- A chunky bold necklace
- Summer Tote to carry it all in!
With less than 10 items you can have a diverse wardrobe for at least 4 days if not more! Here’s how:
- The Maxi Dress: This piece is great with your jean jacket, gladiator sandals, necklace and tote and viola you’re ready to board your plane. (If you’re brining the Fedora wear that too so it doesn’t get ruined enroute). Once you arrive to your destination your maxi dress now becomes the perfect beach cover-up! Grab your suit, some magazines, and sunscreen and hit the beach. Now it’s time for dinner, and you can glam up your maxi with a chunky necklace, wedges and some red lipstick! From travel wear, to beach cover-up, to a night out the maxi dress is not only comfortable and feminine, but extremely versatile
- Seersucker Shorts: Because it’s summer, and why not? Again throw on you gladiator sandals and blouse and you’re ready for bike rides on the beach. Swap out the sandals for wedges, throw on some lipstick and fun jewelry and you’re ready for happy hour (don’t forget your jean jacket…it can get chilly at night!).
- The White Oxford: It’s no secret I love a good Oxford, not only for their functionality, but they’re so darn cute. The Oxford over your one piece with the fedora, gladiator sandals, tote, and you’re ready for the beach. Throw the oxford over the maxi dress in the afternoon with wedges, fedora, and tote in hand, and you’re ready for an afternoon of exploring the city! Of course you can wear the oxford with your seersucker shorts, and chunky necklace. (You can’t get much more preppy than that!).
Overall ladies, be organized, check the weather, and just have lots of fun!…and remember life is too short not to wear seersucker in the summer!
Photos by: Bekah of Kallima Photography
The Blue Oxford | See the Full Post at: Verily Magazine
Fun, flirty, classy, elegant, easy, and versatile.
After experiencing my first real East Coast Winter, being a recent city transplant from LA, more than ever I am so grateful for the new life that comes with spring. From the cherry blossoms to floral skirts to wedges to cocktails on NYC rooftops everything about it is simply magical!
Sigh…I am falling in love with this city all over again! With Spring and summer come my favorite seasons to dress! Full of colors, flow-y skirts, patterns, and the freedom to have lots of fun with your wardrobe!
Now, I almost can audibly hear a collective yawn from those reading this article right now, but before you dismiss this piece as something only your grandmother would wear please hear me out!
The classic button down oxford is an investment piece well worth its price tag. Not only will it be worn to office meetings, but will be a constant companion to garden parties during the summer, concerts, coffee dates, and days or nights out with friends.
Whether you’re 16, 29 (and holding), or in your 60s the oxford is a wardrobe essential that will last throughout the seasons and decades of your life. Fabric quality and fit are essential when choosing an oxford. Remember ladies quality over quantity, and the best part about investing into staple wardrobe items are their versatility.
Recently I came across the Japanese brand Kamakura that is known for their out of this world quality on men’s shirts. They developed a women’s line, and their blue oxford has been a new best friend of mine!
Go, go, go, get yourself a quality oxford ladies. Or dust off the one you have had in your closet, but had no idea how to wear it! Go on ladies…have some fun, take some chances, and stay classy!
Y’all I am a changed woman; it was 48 degrees the past three days + it was glorious. With the snow melted and the sun out this city truly comes alive!
Sunday afternoon my friend and I walked through Central Park for hours before walking to church; it was heavenly.
Most of today I spent inside on my taxes (ugh…April is coming up fast friends!), but I made sure to leave time for a run at Prospect Park. I was beginning to truly doubt my affections for this city over the past 2 months (a.k.a the Polar Vortex nightmare!), but the past few days reminded me how much beauty, energy, and life take place in New York.
Now switching gears. Today really belongs to the tale of conquering my most coveted Ralph Lauren Blazer. Le’sigh. I adore this blazer.
My friend purchased this same blazer probably about two years ago. As soon as she took it out of the bag, my mouth was watering. The gold buttons + the Ralph Lauren crest + not to mention it is navy blue (which is my black!). I hunted this baby down for months with no luck, and then ONE DAY friends.
One day I hopped into TJMaxx to grab something random, and there hanging on the final sale rack for $60 was my blazer. I may have squealed, and ran over to grab it, only to find that it was two sizes too big. For an instant I wanted to cry, but like most every investment piece in my closet it goes straight to the tailor so I figured I’d buy it and my tailor would work her magic.
I had her let out the sleeves 3/4 an in., tuck the sides, and bring in the shoulders a bit. While having a good tailor can be a bit pricey (it actually cost more to get the blazer tailored than what I paid for it); it is well worth the investment. Now have a classic blazer that will surpass the trends of the season, and last me for years.
Ladies (and gentlemen) if you do not have a tailor, you must get one. Here’s why:
- I’m 5’10, have a 36 inch inseam (yes you read that correctly…my legs never end) + I have an athletic build. Unless you are a true sample size (which lets face it, 95% of us aren’t), then the clothes that we buy simply were not created to fit our bodies. (All ladies should let out a huge sigh of relief at this!) We all have had those shopping experiences where we leave feeling discouraged that nothing fits quite right, and we feel like something is wrong with us! (Don’t even get me started on jean shopping!). However, take heart this is a normal experience when we take into consideration that all of our bodies are different + unless you’re going to put on a one-size-fits-all spandex body suit there’s no way clothes can fit all of our beautiful and unique body types. We simply have to have the eyes to see which pieces are worth taking right on over to the tailor.
- Always your investment pieces! Your super trendy shirt that you bought for $20 or your mass produced denim skinny jeans that were $35 probably aren’t what you’ll be taking to the tailor. However, that blazer that you want to wear to work, those trousers that you’ll wear for the next 5 years, your winter jacket…yes those are all pieces to take into your tailor to get that perfect fit.
- Think of your tailor as an investment. Your tailor will take a blazer that you could wear for one or two seasons, and make it a blazer to last 20 seasons. Here in the city I go to Sullivan’s in Manhattan + I went to the same tailor in Newport Beach on 17th st. for almost 4 years.
Happy Tuesday Friends + Cheers to finding your Tailor that is the perfect fit for you! (yes…that pun was actually intended!)
Happy Memorial Day Folks!
I’m about to leave my house to grab food for a little bbq at my place this evening with some close friends. I’m dying to make homeade whipped cream + cobbler!
To me Memorial Day means Summer is OFFICIALLY here! There are so many sweet memories that come to my mind when I think of summer:
fresh watermelon juice dripping down your hands as you eat it.
RED WHITE and BLUE.
Top: Ralph Lauren
Shoes: GH Bass
I’m thankful for this day, and for the many men and women that serve our country so sacrificially. We would not be where we are today if they were fighting for our freedom!
Go outside today. Bake a cobbler with fresh fruit. Hug your family and friends, and stay up too late telling stories!
As I shared with you last week, I fell in love…with thrifting.
This lovely navajo wrap dress is fabulous! (I’ve worn it 3x in the last 7 days…oops #sorryimnotsorry)
What I love about this dress is that it’s a classic A-line silhouette (universally flattering), and I just think wrap dresses are a wardrobe staple!
Now that I’ve got the thrift-ing bug I’m dying to know some good spots in LA + NYC. Join our conversation on instagram, we’d love to know your thoughts!
Photos by: Michelle Kim
Jean Jacket: Zara (similar)
Shoes: [old] Urban Outfitters (similar)
A few weeks ago we talked about wardrobe staples. The Little Black Dress was our topic of conversation. Have you found yours yet?
Today I bring to your another wardrobe staple: The Wrap Dress. I am a dress girl through and through, and here’s why: they are so easy! You slip a dress over your head, and you are instantly more put together. People always ask me how I can photograph in a dress. My response: it is so easy, I can move around in it, squat, bend. Dresses are moveable and with ease knock up your dressiness a few notches.
In fact, last Saturday I was shooting a wedding in Dallas, TX., and I wore this dress the entire day shooting; it was fabulous!
A few things to note on wrap dresses:
- Length: notice mine is just about knee level. That’s a good rule of thumb. Any shorter, and it turns into a night out with the girls and not work appropriate.
- The Wrap: Make sure when you try on your wrap that you do a few twirls in it. Make sure that wrap is going to stay closed. To be safe with mine I safety pin the wrap midway down just in case a gust of wind comes through.
- Quality vs. Quantity: This wrap dress was definitely an investment piece, but our wardrobe staples should be. I found it at the Kate Spade outlet on sale thankfully!
Burberry Purse: Vintage (Gift from my mother) Similar
There has never been a post this long in the history of The Refined Woman because there has never been a day so epic to recount.
Though I am a fan of the Hyperbole I promise I am not exaggerating when I say yesterday was the day that all the dreams our little hearts could hold were fulfilled.
Lest you think I still exaggerate. Let me begin with some images. I keep looking at them to remind myself it was real.
But first, what I wore. Because that’s important, right? Maybe not as much as all the aforementioned dreams being realized, but I am happy to say that after yesterday, all the money I spent (3x more than the pants themselves!) to have these thrifted leather pants tailored seems like it was worth it.
From Kat : What is on my bucket list you may ask? Among sky diving and being fluent in another language is attending a JCrew Presentation at New York Fashion Week.
When Em and I found out we had tickets to the Fall 2013 JCrew Presentation there may or may not have been squeals, tears, and a little dance party.
(Spoiler alert : we screamed like girls.)
Here’s a shot of THE JENNA HERSELF with Anna Wintour. NBD. (REALLY BIG DEAL.)
From Kat : What I love about JCrew is how each season they push the envelope with their mixture of patterns, textures, and colors with classic silhouettes; it’s why they’re able to appeal to the 18 year old hipster, the 30something business woman, and Anna Wintour. You can’t beat class, and you cannot beat Jenna Lyons innovative mixture of all things new with all things timeless.
From me : That about sums it up. This collection rocked my world in every way possible.
(JCREW SHOW BONUS : The guys. ) Sorry to state the obvious here, but these gentleman I mean how good looking can you get? Really?
From Em : I think Kat may have found a husband. I saw them making eyes.
Now, while it would have been MORE THAN ENOUGH to just see Jenna Lyons in the flesh, we were able to say hello after the show and she was so gracious and lovely to us. We may have even handed her a business card and snapped her photograph before swooning. She kissed us and the cheek, complimented our outfits, and was super sweet.
Truly, Jenna, you are THE Refined Woman. Thank you for inspiring women in fashion everywhere.
That’s not all.
At the J Crew Presentation I was able to introduce myself to a woman who really inspired me to follow my passion for fashion blogging and photography… Garance Dore. I took a photo of her at the presentation (the lighting was just OK… but Kat took this one later on which I just adore. Go Kat!)
Garance, thank you for being so gracious in person. You do not know how much it meant to me.
and THEN. (then!!)
I took a photo of the man, the legend, the Sartorialist himself.
As I bent back to photograph him in my heels and ridiculous leather pants I almost ATE it on the concrete of Lincoln Center. I imagine that’s where this little smile came from…
And then I died of embarrassment and I am pretty sure I ran away. I guess it’s a good to have some moments to keep us humble, am I right?
If you looked at and read this whole post, bless you. More good stuff to come tomorrow.
This outfit was clutch for the last wedding I photographed in San Francisco with Emily Scott. Literally from the moment we drove up to the Bride’s house until we left the reception it was RAINING. Not misting but pretty much pouring buckets, and need I remind you that it is winter? My hunter boots were one of those purchases that I was not so sure about because of the price, but over and over again they have come through to shining victory for me!
Top: Similar (Zara)
Infinity Scarf: Handmade by a friend find one Similar
It’s that time of year when we get to bust out our Party Dresses for those annual Holiday/Christmas parties that our friends, families, work, etc. host.
Holiday parties is the time when we women photographers actually can wear super high and uncomfortable heels, bright colors, and short-er hems because we know it’ll only be a few hours and we know we’re not having to blend into the background at a shoot. Emily and I were chatting, and we both just wish we had super fancy lives that we could wear fun one-of-a-kind party outfits everyday. Either that or be on the show Gossip Girl. I’ll take either.
Enjoy our Christmas outfits. Which one is your favorite?
Fall is my favorite time of the year for fashion. I love browns, blues, greens, and warm colors and I can wear them all the time in the fall. This outfit is not only a go-to for shooting, but even in my everyday life. The chinos are a little casual, however I think my blazer and red lipstick makes it a little more fancy. This look is clean, classic, and the 31 Bits necklace adds that boho flare so I feel as though I’m staying true to my brand all in all!
Photo by: Sarah Shreves