7 posts tagged Red Lips
Sometimes I feel the pressure to put on a bunch of jewelry or do a ton of layers with my outfits, but really I just want to keep things simple.
I’m not the type of girl that takes 2 hours to get ready. I only want to spend 7 minutes on my make-up, maybe 15 on my hair, and not long at all picking out my outfit.
Basically I want to go from my pajamas to walking out the door looking Refined under 45 minutes.
How do I do this? By keeping things simple. I know the colors that work for me, and I don’t let it bother me that I wear the same 3 colors all the time (blue, white, and yellow—-what are your favorite colors to wear).
This outfit I love because it’s just that: easy + simple.
Also, have you noticed my new favorite Fotostrap camera strap? (Wait was that redundant?) I fell in love even more with it knowing I could send my logo for them to stamp on the strap. Of course I chose the anchor!
White Jeans: Gap
Camera Strap: Fotostrap
There’s something about it that makes me feel both feminine and polished and a little 50’s housewife. I like all of those things.
This is an outfit I would wear to meet with a client - it’s professional while still being stylish. Plus emerald! So hot right now.
Tomorrow morning bright and early Em and I are heading to NYC for New York Fashion Week. We are so excited to run around the city, meet some new blogger friends, photograph some runway shows, and let’s be real…we cannot wait to eat our way through NYC!
Before we leave, we wanted to leave you with our top 11 NYC travel essentials. Don’t leave home without these ladies…
1. The Dooney & Burke “Happy Bag” is small, lightweight, timeless, and our perfect travel companion.
2 + 3. Nars LipStick in “Dragon Girl” w Too Faced Lip Primer. Whether going to NYC or to the drugstore or to a 12-hour shoot these puppies come with me everywhere I go. Literally one application lasts me an entire day through meals, drinks, everything. Definite ESSENTIALS ladies.
4. Lush “No Drought” Dry Shampoo. There are so many out there. I was a Baby Powder girl my self, until enough of my girlfriends sang Lush’s praises; it’s the best in my opinion.
5. Travel Perfume. My go to is Aqua di Go for Women: $20 from Sephora: It’s super affordable, mine has lasted for over a year; it’s light and fresh, and trust me you’ll want this after walking the city all day before breezing into drinks with friends.
…which leads us into…
6 + 7. The MetroCard + Hand Sanitizer: Some people are cab people some people are Subway people. I try at all costs (pun intended) to take the subway. People it’s like 3,000x cheaper and part of the NYC experience. Obvi you need Hand Sani whether you cab or Sub it. Let’s be real, we love NYC, but it is dur-tay.
8. RayBan Aviators. A Staple. Need I say more?
9. A Sewing Kit. I keep these in all my different bags. I cannot tell you how many random times at shoots or out with friends that someone has needed a needle and thread. By no means do I sew, but I can do a quick-fix.
10. Mini MoleSkin Journals. My dad told me that the most successful people in the world keep idea journals with them all the time. Their goal is to write down several new ideas each day. You may not have that game-changing idea in the first year, but 5 years down the road it may come. I always keep my idea/dream journal with me + easily accessible. You never know when inspiration will hit!
11. Business Cards. (Thanks Mink Cards for our lovely new cards!). You’re meeting people ALL the time when you’re out. Always have a business card on you! There’s nothing worse than someone saying ‘Oh I’ll just get in touch with you’. Oh no no no…you be ready to build relationships. Have those biz cards on hands, and YOU send the follow-up email!
Stay tuned for more on our trip to NYC…
Kat + Em
It’s our launch week of The Refined Woman, and we could not be more excited about this new journey with y’all!
What better way to get through your Wednesday by getting in on our WEDNESDAY 31 BITS GIVEAWAY.
First off, if you are unfamiliar with 31 Bits. Please check them out HERE. 31 Bits is an organization that hires women in Uganda to make these beautifully crafted paper beaded necklaces. 31 Bits has a wholistic approach to their business. Not only do they employ women to rise above poverty but provide: english lessons, finance training, community groups, and AIDs and Health clinics for the women.
Photo by: The Refined Woman
We love 31 Bits, and want to get some in your hand ASAP! Here’s how you win:
Kat + Em
It’s that time of year when we get to bust out our Party Dresses for those annual Holiday/Christmas parties that our friends, families, work, etc. host.
Holiday parties is the time when we women photographers actually can wear super high and uncomfortable heels, bright colors, and short-er hems because we know it’ll only be a few hours and we know we’re not having to blend into the background at a shoot. Emily and I were chatting, and we both just wish we had super fancy lives that we could wear fun one-of-a-kind party outfits everyday. Either that or be on the show Gossip Girl. I’ll take either.
Enjoy our Christmas outfits. Which one is your favorite?
For this shoot I was going to be lugging a photo booth setup in addition to my normal gear and I just knew a skirt or dress wasn’t going to work for that. After I got the blazer as a gift from my (amazing!) husband I went on a search for pants to go with it and I love these navy high waist trousers from J. Crew. The color and the cut feel more exciting than regular black dress pants. Since it was still unseasonably warm a few weeks ago, I went with a short sleeve button up to keep from overheating.
Pants – Hutton trouser: J. Crew (they come in long inseam too!), Schoolboy blazer: J. Crew, Button up shirt: American Apparel, Watch: Michael Kors, Wedges: Salvatore Ferragamo, Camera Strap: Apolis; Glasses: Warby Parker
Fall is my favorite time of the year for fashion. I love browns, blues, greens, and warm colors and I can wear them all the time in the fall. This outfit is not only a go-to for shooting, but even in my everyday life. The chinos are a little casual, however I think my blazer and red lipstick makes it a little more fancy. This look is clean, classic, and the 31 Bits necklace adds that boho flare so I feel as though I’m staying true to my brand all in all!
Photo by: Sarah Shreves