5 posts tagged New York City
This week has been full of adventures. Here’s what has been keeping me occupied…
LA LookBook: this is a sneak of my latest LookBook shoot for LA Shoe company Olivia Childs.
#YOLO: Life is far too short to have it consumed with work. I got to hike with old friends and experience an amazing sunset.
For good music.
For moments of stillness.
We could not be more honored to be a guest Writer on Darling Magazine today!
Em shared some of her thoughts on NYFW and Darling shared some of their favorite images we shot during our snowy NYC trip. Check out the feature HERE.
One thing I loved seeing at New York Fashion Week was some incredible vibrant Reds on the runway. So this week to kick off a little runway to reality, Kat + I have two NYC outfits with a pop of red.
While I would have loved to have a different jacket to share with you, the other reality for this California girl is that I just don’t have that many fun coats. It just doesn’t get cold enough to invest in them, so most of mine are the standard black or navy. After last week though and some of the coats I saw at the spring J Crew presentation I am rethinking things completely.
This week in honor of New York Fashion Week Kat + I are excited to share with you the highlights of everything we have been up to, what we are wearing (see also : The Woes of Being a Southern California Girl in A Snowstorm) and what we have been seeing on + off the runway.
We feel so grateful to be here experiencing all of this and so looking forward to sharing our highlights with you.
Really, you get the best of the deal, dear friends, because you get all the fashion minus the freezing winds, snow + slush.
Refined at Fashion Week : Day 1
I swear I looked at the forecast before I packed, but I think there’s only so much one California girl can do to really prepare herself for the reality of a snowstorm.
(You can pin some of my accessories from The Refined Woman on Pinterest!)
Marissa Web’s new collection is so wearable! I love the tailored structure to her suits, skirts + coats.
The black + white accessories + inverted french manicure is the perfect compliment.
Some of my favorites from the Marissa Webb presentation:
The Monique Lhuillier runway show knocked my socks off. The way she innovates a gown season after season is such an inspiration to me. Every piece is fitted perfectly to be flattering for a woman’s shape. The texture and detailing was incredible.
Afterwards we made our way backstage + accompanied Krista Soriano as she was able to ask Monique a few words about the collection. See Krista’s piece on Elle.com for more!
Tomorrow morning bright and early Em and I are heading to NYC for New York Fashion Week. We are so excited to run around the city, meet some new blogger friends, photograph some runway shows, and let’s be real…we cannot wait to eat our way through NYC!
Before we leave, we wanted to leave you with our top 11 NYC travel essentials. Don’t leave home without these ladies…
1. The Dooney & Burke “Happy Bag” is small, lightweight, timeless, and our perfect travel companion.
2 + 3. Nars LipStick in “Dragon Girl” w Too Faced Lip Primer. Whether going to NYC or to the drugstore or to a 12-hour shoot these puppies come with me everywhere I go. Literally one application lasts me an entire day through meals, drinks, everything. Definite ESSENTIALS ladies.
4. Lush “No Drought” Dry Shampoo. There are so many out there. I was a Baby Powder girl my self, until enough of my girlfriends sang Lush’s praises; it’s the best in my opinion.
5. Travel Perfume. My go to is Aqua di Go for Women: $20 from Sephora: It’s super affordable, mine has lasted for over a year; it’s light and fresh, and trust me you’ll want this after walking the city all day before breezing into drinks with friends.
…which leads us into…
6 + 7. The MetroCard + Hand Sanitizer: Some people are cab people some people are Subway people. I try at all costs (pun intended) to take the subway. People it’s like 3,000x cheaper and part of the NYC experience. Obvi you need Hand Sani whether you cab or Sub it. Let’s be real, we love NYC, but it is dur-tay.
8. RayBan Aviators. A Staple. Need I say more?
9. A Sewing Kit. I keep these in all my different bags. I cannot tell you how many random times at shoots or out with friends that someone has needed a needle and thread. By no means do I sew, but I can do a quick-fix.
10. Mini MoleSkin Journals. My dad told me that the most successful people in the world keep idea journals with them all the time. Their goal is to write down several new ideas each day. You may not have that game-changing idea in the first year, but 5 years down the road it may come. I always keep my idea/dream journal with me + easily accessible. You never know when inspiration will hit!
11. Business Cards. (Thanks Mink Cards for our lovely new cards!). You’re meeting people ALL the time when you’re out. Always have a business card on you! There’s nothing worse than someone saying ‘Oh I’ll just get in touch with you’. Oh no no no…you be ready to build relationships. Have those biz cards on hands, and YOU send the follow-up email!
Stay tuned for more on our trip to NYC…
Kat + Em